Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Basics 101...Food...Recipes with Leftovers

Just a really quick recipe for using leftovers. I passed this one on to my sister, who recently tried it with great success.

When we cook around our house, there are always leftovers. I'm fortunate that my husband doesn't object to eating leftovers until they are finally gone. While some things can be frozen and consumed later, others tend to get eaten several days in a row until they are finally gone.

One of the things we always seem to have left over is Spaghetti sauce. Fortunately, that is one thing that will freeze well. Lately though, I've been putting that leftover sauce to really good use.

We (sis and I) call it 'Quick Chicken Parmesean' and it is very tasty.

With this recipe you don't have to make your own Spaghetti sauce, one of the inexpensive canned sauces will work quite well. Depending on your personal preference, this can be put in a crockpot or baked in the oven...both ways come out really tasty.

First...which pieces of chicken does your family like? Since I enjoy the breast portions, I used these. Sis used the leg quarters. Once you've got your pieces of chicken for each person, remove the skin and fatty stuff. Put the pieces in your baking dish or crockpot.....if baking you will need to set the oven at 350 degrees.

Second...once the chicken is in the dish or crockpot, season to your taste with salt, pepper each piece. If using leftover sauce, pour the sauce over the chicken pieces until totally covered. If using canned sauce, open the can and do the same...depending on the amount of chicken, you might need two cans/jars of sauce.
I like the canned, really cheap sauce...usually under $2/can.

Third...turn on the crockpot...high setting for at least two hours...then low setting for the last two hours or until the chicken is done. Turn the chicken once and recover with the sauce. Same for baking...put in the oven uncovered for at least one hour, turning once, bake until chicken is done.

Fourth...about ten minutes before the end of cooking sprinkle to taste with grated Parmesean cheese...or your favorite.
Serve with pasta of your choice or other side dishes you like...salads, baked potato, etc

This dish can be prepared ahead of time and allowed to marinade in the Spaghetti sauce prior to cooking.
When using the crockpot you can put it on low if cooking overnight or while at work. I have prepared the dish for popping in the oven after work and all I have then is the cooking time.

Be creative...add spices and herbs you like to the sauce...I always add extra Basil, Oregano, onion, and garlic...but I like these things. Make the recipe your own by adding the things you like.
Refrigerate your leftovers or even freeze the leftovers in microwavable containers for quick and easy meals for one or two.

Hope you enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. I made this dish last night for supper and it was very filling and tasty. The one hour cooking time should be adjusted for the pieces being used. Boneless pieces take less time, and frozen pieces will take a little longer time. Overcooking will tend to 'dry out' the meat a bit.

    Don't worry if your sauce has meat in it...just adds texture and flavor. One of the advantages to using the canned sauce is that it comes in many different flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I have never liked that stuff, but reading about it is making my mouth water. LOL!

    I am lucky that my husband does leftovers or else we'd have a lot of waste around here. He has a bad habit of storing leftovers in the oven... not just overnight, but for days on end until he has consumed all of it. I won't eat anything that has had time to sit and fester like that. Most of the time, I won't even eat leftovers that have been in the fridge. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. About the only thing I keep in the oven is bread or brownies...hate to stick them in the fridge...I have forgotten about cornbread and ended up tossing it to the dogs or chickies.

    Sis is trying to 'train' her hubby to eat leftovers. We grew up eating leftovers...not that there were many while I was around...hahaha, Grandma used to call me her eating machine...I was a skinny kid so they never said no when I asked for more. First one to the table and the last one to leave as I was practically 'licking' the bowls...LOL
    My family couldn't figure out where I was 'hiding' all that food! Wish my metabolism was as high now as it was then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [First one to the table and the last one to leave as I was practically 'licking' the bowls...LOL]
    ROFL!

    [About the only thing I keep in the oven is bread or brownies...]
    Oh, yeah, I don't mind that sort of thing sitting out, either. I wouldn't be inclined to let something like brownies go to waste anyway, even if they fell on the floor (and you should see our floor - LOL).

    Oooh, you just reminded me of something I think I forgot to mention in my blog... speaking of things being left over in the oven...

    ReplyDelete
  5. >>>I wouldn't be inclined to let something like brownies go to waste anyway, even if they fell on the floor (and you should see our floor - LOL)<<< hmmm, are you implying that it probably looks like mine? (Minus about thirty pounds of dog hair most likely) LOL
    Even the dog hair will blow off and the brownie still be edible in my house!

    Uhoh! what got left in the oven? Did it grow into something else? Hahaha, I have had *that* happen on a few occasions here

    ReplyDelete
  6. (Minus about thirty pounds of dog hair most likely) LOL
    Ick! Haha!

    Uhoh! what got left in the oven? Did it grow into something else?
    Haha!! Around here, it's usually things that get lost in the fridge that turn into something else. LOL. In this case, though, I accidentally broiled some leftover noodles and sausage that I didn't know was in the oven. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ROFL!! I read about it in your blog...too funny, but I've done similar stuff myself!

    ReplyDelete