Friday, October 24, 2008

The Beginning...An introduction

I decided to start this blog after following a thread at one of my favorite sites http://gardenbuddies.com/ in the Social Gallery. The title of the thread is 'Learning to be Frugal'.

After reading what so many others are doing to get by nowadays, I've decided to share some of the ways I was taught to 'survive'. My mom came from a very large family and was born shortly after the 'Great Depression'. They lived on a farm and as my Grandparents had always been on the farm, they were raised in a very frugal environment. I recall my Grandmother telling us about how things were done when she was a little girl and then later on about what life was like raising twelve children on the farm. My Grandparents on this side were born in the late 1890's, in rural Kentucky. Their families had been in the area since the Revolutionary War ended...and during the time frame when Kentucky first began being settled. Life in those days was a definite challenge by today's standards.

Grandma told of having to haul water from the creek to the big wash kettle, which was hanging over a wood fire. They not only had to haul the water, but hunt for the wood to build the fire and cut it with axes to the length needed. The wash was done weekly and was an all day chore.

They always had a very large garden and all the kids worked in the garden and around the farm as soon as they were walking. Everyone had chores and even the little ones were taught what to do to help. Some of the things I've heard of little ones doing during those days is amazing compared to how little ones today are treated. My Granddad worked off the farm at times in the coal mines. Life was pretty tough, but they all came through strong and healthy.

Little things that I've learned through my life are ingrained now as habits...I've tried to pass this knowledge on to my kids and grandkids to help them survive under any circumstances. Before my mom passed, I thanked her for teaching us survival skills...because of her, I know I can survive regardless of the economy, regardless of conditions, regardless of whatever is thrown my way.

Take what you find that works for you, share the knowledge as you learn. The key is the desire to survive, no matter what life throws your way....

No comments:

Post a Comment